Your spine is the most vital connector in your body. Apart from making you stand erect, it provides the sensory and motor pathway to perform voluntary and involuntary functions. Any damage to the spine can make the person inactive completely. It is important to take care of your spine and in case you feel any discomfort it is important to get yourself assessed.
The function of the spinal column is to balance the entire body weight and our workload. Our spine suffers a lot of wear and tear continuously throughout life. At a younger age, we can jump/run and endure long hours of work and play. This is because the spine and muscles are strong. As we tend to age, our spine starts getting weaker and stiffer thereby losing its performance endurance, and strength. Hence, to support the spine better, our muscles need to be fit.
The spine is made up of vertebrae (bones), discs, nerves, and the spinal cord. The spine supports your body and helps you walk, twist, and move. The disks that cushion vertebrae may compress with age or injury, leading to a herniated disk. Back injuries, spinal cord conditions, and other problems can damage the spine and cause back pain. Exercises can strengthen the core muscles that support the spine and prevent back injuries and back pain.
Spine Surgery is a surgical specialty that is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of spine functions by managing various spinal disorders. It includes both non-operative and complex operative treatment modalities. At a glance, Spine Surgery is a combination of orthopedic and neurosurgical surgery. The specialty comprises a gamut of spinal surgeries with an aim to relieve pain, stabilization of the spine, and decompression of spinal cord/nerves.
At Wockhardt Hospital Spine Services Department is running A MULTIDISCIPLINARY program in the country by a team of dedicated and highly experienced spine surgeons, neuro physicians, pain block experts, physiotherapists, and rehabilitation experts. The specialty has one of the best state of the art equipment, world-class infrastructure, and diagnostic services in achieving the right diagnosis and bringing about optimal care. The Spine surgery services department is well complimented by an excellent physical therapy and rehabilitation department.
Types of conditions treated:
We provide elective and emergency care for acute and chronic spinal ailments via surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Elective/Emergency/ Neurology
- Acute and Chronic
Degenerative – Usually Chronic:
- Lumbar Spondylosis
- Lumbar (Prolapsed Invertebral Disc)
- Lumbar Spondylolisthesis
- Lumbar canal stenosis
- Degen Lumbar Scoliosis
- Thoracic Spondylosis
- Cervical PIVD
- Cervical canal stenosis
- Adult degenerative Scoliosis
- Primary spinal tumours
- Malignant SPINAL TUMOURS
- Spinal cord tumours- intradural /extradural
- Tuberculosis of spine- Potts spine
- Non-Tubercular infections of the spine
Trauma in Spine:
- Cervical spine fractures/dislocations
- Atlanto-axial dislocation
- Dorsal spine fracture
- Osteoporotic Vertebral fracture
- Inflammatory conditions of the spine
All conditions are evaluated independently and an individualised tailor-made treatment plan is devised. It may be surgical or non-surgical.
Following are the spectrum of services that are performed:
The department of spine surgery offers comprehensive care and solutions for a wide range of disorders affecting the spine ranging from trauma, infection, instability /dislocations, arthritis degeneration/inflammatory, and tumours .
- Spinal Surgeries: This can be, conventional, endoscopic /microscopic, minimally invasive
- Spinal Injuries/ Spinal Fractures
- Spinal Deformity Correction
- Spinal Tumour Removal
- Occipitocervical Junction Disorders
- Complex Vertebral Reconstructive Surgeries
- Keyhole Cementing (Vertebroplasty And Kyphoplasty)
- Artificial Disc Replacement
- Microscopic Discectomy/ Microscopic Decompression
- Treatment Of Spinal Infections
- Laminectomy Of Cervical/ Dorsal/ Lumbar Vertebrae
- Decompression of Spine- Laminectomy( Cervical, Thoracic and lumbar)
- Stabilization and fusion- Pedicular Screw/ Fixation, Interbody cage PLIF, TLIF, ALIF
- Motion Preserving Surgery: Artificial Disc Replacement
- Deformity Correction:- Spinal Osteotomies and fusions
- Spinal Reconstruction procedures like- Osteotomies, Vertebral column Resection
Centre for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and Endoscopy:
The Spine Centre offers minimally invasive surgery (MIS) for the treatment of:
- Spinal deformity (scoliosis, kyphosis) correction and instrumentation
- disc herniation
- degenerative disc disease requiring fusion
- vertebral compression fractures
These techniques start with small incisions, followed by surgery that’s assisted by an endoscope, microscope or x-ray guidance.
Conditions Treated Include:
- Neck Pain
- Back Pain
- Radiating Pain
- Chest Wall Pain
- Certain Types of Headaches
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
- Post-Herpetic Neuralgia (Shingles)
- Facet Arthropathy
- Myofascial Syndrome
- Vertebral Compression Fracture
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
- Facet joint pain
At Wockhardt Hospitals, our spine specialists represent the entire spectrum of care for spine problems and neurological conditions. From early detection and diagnosis to trauma or injury, we addresses all aspects of care for the brain and spine, including rehabilitation and management of long-term conditions. We focus solely on brain and spine care, our team is committed to delivering the best possible care using the most advanced equipment and techniques currently available.
Our multidisciplinary team offers coordinated back and neck care from initial diagnosis throughout the treatment and recovery to help an improve quality of life. The expert team at Wockhardt Hospitals chooses conservative treatments for back and neck conditions caused due to lifestyle and bad posture. Injury and other medical conditions can also cause back or neck pain.
The goal of our rehab centre is to improve your daily comfort with rehabilitation, preventative care and non-invasive treatments by the following modalities:
- Core stability exercises
- Pilates exercises
- Spinal exercises
- Manual therapy to spine
- Abdominal muscle strengthening
- Ergonomics advices
- Life style modification advices
- Short Wave Diathermy
- Intermittent Cervical and Lumbar Traction
- Interferential Current Therapy
- Ultrasound Therapy
- Electrical muscle stimulation
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
Post-surgical rehabilitative care:
Post-treatment care will likely depend on how severe the symptoms are and how extensive the therapy is. However, mild treatments may need to be scheduled regularly for the best outcome. More intensive therapies will require rest after the procedure. Back surgery will require bed rest with a course of pain-relieving medications taken after.
CT, CT guided Biopsy, MRI, Xray, Interventional Radiology for spine
Diagnosis of diseases and disorders of the spine begins with a thorough review of the patient’s health history and a physical exam. Diagnostic tests may include the following:
- X-Rays- digital radiography
- Myelogram (myelography) is a diagnostic imaging procedure that combines the use of an injected contrast substance with X-rays or computed tomography (CT) to evaluate abnormalities of the spinal canal, the spinal cord, nerve roots, and other tissues.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a diagnostic imaging procedure that combines the use of a large magnet, radio frequencies, and a computer to produce detailed images of soft tissues within the body. Bones do not obscure the images.
- Computed Tomography (CT or CAT Scan) is a diagnostic imaging procedure that combines the use of X-rays and computer technology to produce many different views (slices) of the same body part.
- Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) studies can detect problems with nerves, and are often used along with EMG to differentiate a nerve disorder from a muscle disorder.
- Electromyography (EMG) is used to detect diseases stemming from problems with the muscle itself and is often used with NCV to differentiate a muscle disorder from a nerve disorder + SSEP.
Magnification Of Nerves Using A Microscope Or Endoscope improves clarity and precision. This has allowed key-hole operations with great accuracy.
Computer-Guided Navigation offers high precision and provides accurate guidance for placing screws around the nerves. Complex spine deformity has an effective solution.
3 D C-Arm is a modern technology that helps in providing the view of the spine in a 3-dimensional plane during surgery. This has been a great help in performing complex surgeries that require extra vision.
Neuro-Monitoring: The safety of monitoring the nerves during the surgery cannot be overemphasized. This has come a long way in minimizing (1-2%) the risk of nerve complications during surgery.
Advances In Anaesthesia And Hospital Care is of paramount importance to help the most painful and disabled patient get holistic care and new lease of life